|Liquid-Cooled Fuel Cell Stacks
FCgen®-HPS is a high performance, high power density, liquid-cooled fuel cell stack designed to provide propulsion for a range of light-, medium- and heavy-duty vehicles.
FCgen®-HPS delivers a combination of impressive performance metrics, including:
- Industry-leading volumetric high-power density of 4.3 kilowatts per liter (excluding end plates)
- High power output: up to 140kW maximum power level, with scalability to multiple power blocks;
- High operating temperature: up to 95°C maximum operating temperature, which allows for more efficient and smaller cooling systems; and
- Rugged cold weather capabilities: -28°C freeze start capability with fast power ramp.
The FCgen®-HPS was designed and developed by Ballard to stringent automotive standards as part of the company’s Technology Solutions program with Audi AG.
FCgen®-LCS is the result of Ballard 40 years’ experience in fuel cell stack modeling and design; latest innovations from our automotive programs, catalyst and MEA R&D activities and field data collected over 50 million km on the road.
The next generation of Ballard heavy duty liquid cooled stacks is designed to deliver long term performance and low total life cycle cost thanks to the combination of:
- Durable MEA
- Reusable low cost carbon plates
- Compact stack design
- Optimized operating conditions
The FCgen®-LCS has been integrated in the latest generation fuel cell module for heavy duty motive applications - FCmoveTM
Ballard’s liquid-cooled FCvelocity®–9SSL fuel cell stack is designed to meet the durability requirements of motive power applications with demanding drive cycles. A derivative of our work in automotive fuel cell technology, the FCvelocity®–9SSL product offers excellent reliability and impressive power density.
- Scalable power output from 4kW to 21kW
- Liquid cooled system enables high durability
- Designed to withstand rugged operating conditions
- Features fast, dynamic response
- Greater than 20,000 hour lifetime, depending on application
The FCvelocity®-9SSL fuel cell stack is integrated into Ballard’s FCveloCity® motive module to power transit buses and light rail vehicles. The FCvelocity®-9SSL fuel cell stack is also widely deployed in Plug Power’s line of GenDrive® fuel cell systems for electric lift trucks.
|Air-Cooled Fuel Cell Stacks
Featuring dynamic response, robust and reliable operation and an architecture that enables simplified system design, Ballard’s FCgen®-1020ACS air-cooled fuel cell stacks are suitable for a wide variety of low power applications and hybrid system designs.
- Scalable power output from 400W to 3.3kW
- Open-cathode stack and self-humidifying MEA eliminates humidifier, coolant pump & radiator
- Up to 10,000 hour lifetime, depending on application
- Robust and reliable performance
The FCgen®-1020ACS fuel cell stack is widely deployed through integration into Ballard’s FCgen®-H2PM direct hydrogen backup power systems, as well as Plug Power’s line of GenDrive® fuel cell systems for electric lift trucks.